How to Clean Carpets
A wide range of flooring options like tile, wood, laminate, bamboo, vinyl and stone are available nowadays but it is a matter of fact that carpet still remain as one of the leading choices for home or business owners. You might be wondering why carpet still remains popular to this day.
Carpet as a flooring material still holds a considerable amount market because it offers softness and warmth that none of the other options could achieve. A vibrant carpet can transform a lifeless room almost instantly. A boring space can be given a new lease in life by just adding a carpet with a wonderful splash of colours.
It is also a fact that carpets require little maintenance to keep it looking new and fresh. To make this possible, you just need to vacuum it regularly or send it to professionals every few months for deep cleaning.
Using carpets as a flooring material has a lot of benefits. Just like everything else in your house, keeping it looking fresh and new requires effort on your part.
Carpets tend to accumulate dust, dust mites, grime, dirt, stains and even pet hair in the long run. Although vacuuming it regularly helps, sometimes it isn’t enough.
Carpets tend to get a lot of beating in the house or office. Since they come into contact with shoes, they tend to go dirty easily if left uncleaned. They also tend to get liquid spills every so often. If left untreated, these spills can stain the carpet and ruin its look.
A carpet that is unwashed for a very long time is a breeding ground for dust mites. Dust mites can ruin the look of your carpet, as well as contribute to skin and breathing problems. A lot of people tend to be allergic to their faecal matter and that is an issue you need to prevent or find a solution. An ordinary vacuum job isn’t the solution to this problem.
In order to deal with the deep-seated stains that your carpet has accumulated, you have to address the issue right to where the problem is – deep into the surface of the carpet. This is where dust, dirt and gritty particles tend to stay hidden.
It is possible to clean your carpet like a pro but if you simply have no time for that, you can always call the professionals to handle it for you.
Do you want to know how you can keep your carpet last longer and remove stains? Do you want to know how to clean it by hand? If your answer to these questions is a resounding yes, read on and take note of our tips.
How to clean carpet stains
To tackle usual carpet stains. Here is a proven way on how to do it.
- Prepare one cup of warm water and two empty spray bottles. Fill up one empty spray bottle with cold water and the other empty spray bottle with dishwashing liquid.
- Spray the dishwashing liquid solution onto a highly absorbent cloth, like microfibre or cotton. Do not spray the cloth soaking wet. Just make it damp enough that you can dab it on the stained area. Do not rub, just dab. As you begin to dab, the stain will start to dissolve. Dab the area once again but this time, use the clean section of your cleaning cloth. Repeat this step until the carpet stain is gone.
- Spray cold water onto another unused cleaning cloth and use it to dab the dishwashing completely off the carpet. After you’re done with this, find another unused cloth and dab the area dry.
- Allow the area to thoroughly dry by leaving a pile of paper towels on it. To maximise the absorbing power of the paper towels, place something heavy on top it like, like a cooking pot. Leaving the paper towels overnight will absorb any residual stain. The next day, remove the paper towels and fluff the carpet fibres with your hand. Allow them to air dry thoroughly.
If you are still unable to remove the stain, deal with it by knowing its type and corresponding solutions.
A lot of people drink coffee and coffee spilt on carpets is not an unusual thing. To address this issue, just follow the method mentioned earlier. The only difference here is the cleaning agent that you will use. You can choose from any of the following.
- commercial stain remover
- lemon juice (makes dark spots appear lighter)
- combine one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid, one tablespoon of white vinegar and 2 cups of warm water
After applying the cleaning agent to the affected carpet area, rinse it well. Aside from using paper towels, you can use baking soda to absorb excess moisture on the carpet. Leave it there for a few minutes then remove it by vacuum.
Just like any carpet stains, it is best to work with red wine stains as soon as you can. If possible, do not allow red wine to dry on your carpet. Grab a paper towel or cloth and let it absorb as much of the liquid. After dabbing the red wine away from the carpet, go ahead and apply these cleaning solutions.
- commercial wine stain removers
- dishwashing liquid
- hydrogen peroxide
- club soda
- combine one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid and one tablespoon of white vinegar with 2 cups of warm water
- combine 2 tablespoons of vinegar with baking 1/4 cup salt or baking soda
Just like the coffee stains, you can use baking soda or paper towels to remove excess liquid from the cleaning solutions and allow your carpet to dry.
No matter how much we love our pets, they do leave stains from almost every corner of our house. Just like the other stains, it is best to work on it as soon as possible.
Since we are dealing with urine and faecal matter, using ordinary detergents may not be enough. It would be better if you will use a special cleaner with enzymes that remove the odour caused by bacteria found on our pet’s excrement.
As usual, follow the cleaning method mentioned earlier and substitute the regular cleaning agent with one that is specially formulated with odour-combating enzymes. This type of cleaning agent is so effective that some brands keep your pets from relieving themselves on the same spot over and over.
How to clean carpets by hand
As we have mentioned earlier, regular cleaning will make your carpet look fresh and new. If you prefer to clean it yourself, here is an effective method that you can follow.
- As much as possible, keep your carpet from spills and stains.
- If this is unavoidable, work on it as soon as possible. Just follow the stain removing tips.
- To effectively remove dirt, use a carpet shampoo and wash the carpet by hand or with a carpet cleaning machine. This machine is available for rent in some cleaning companies.
- Rub an ice cube on indents or impression marks to remove it.
- It is best to pre-treat stained areas before washing the entire carpet.
- You can use a hairdryer to dry spot select carpet areas.
- Don’t forget to vacuum the entire carpet, especially the area around the edges.
Do this process every three months to enjoy a clean and fresh carpet the whole year round!
If you don’t fancy doing this yourself why not contact the team at Oven Bliss and let them sort your carpets for you!